Thursday 21 June 2012

Let the Search Continue!

You know the old saying "give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day; teach a man to fish, and he'll eat for a lifetime"? Well I've been taught how to fish for the past four years, but after almost two months living at home, I still need to rely on my parents for more fish. Why? Because the job market is terrible.

I don't use that as an excuse, mind you. I've sent out probably over a hundred and fifty resumes online, in person, and every other way you could possibly apply for a job, but there are just so few opportunities out there for someone like me. Out of those dozens and dozens of applications, I've had leads on two, one of which was just a temp job (better than nothing, of course!), and the other one is now seeming to be a little unsettling as well because they're apparently also going through a transitional period (between managers, that is). Nevertheless, you never know, so I'm staying optimistic, and I just may have found something through a family friend (fingers crossed!).

It's just so funny the way the world works. You work hard your whole childhood through grade school and high school in order to get into a good university. Why? So that you can have a higher education and hold a degree that you can show for your work. Why? Because it will help you get a job. With the job market more competitive than ever, I can honestly say that if I hadn't gone to university, and started working straight out of high school, I'd not only not be in debt, but I would have been able to save up a lot of money by this point. But, would I have been happy with my life like that? Probably not.

Knowing myself, I would have probably regretted not going to university everyday of my life, not only because I'd have known that I would have been capable of greater things, but I'd have given up on my dream of being a singer as well. That is one thing that has been crystal clear to me for as long as I can remember: if I follow my passion and my dreams, I will lead a happy life. I know that I'm going to need to work a lot of crappy jobs before I'll be able to support myself on just singing and teaching voice alone. I know that things aren't going to happen for me overnight, and I know that I'm taking a huge risk by choosing this path. But as I look around me more and more, the older I get and the more people I meet, that philosophy just makes more and more sense.

If I hadn't gone to university, I wouldn't be who I am today. I wouldn't appreciate my parents and my family as much as I do; in fact I'd probably resent them because I would never have had the opportunity to live away from home, and I would have been forced to stay at home instead. Not to mention, I would never have met my wonderful and supportive boyfriend. It was really a great time in my life, and I don't regret it for a second, even though I'm paying for it now. I'm happy to pay my dues, and work for a while. It's just the next step on my journey, and I'm excited to see where it'll take me!




Photo: peopleplusconsulting.com

No comments:

Post a Comment