Tuesday 31 July 2012

A Storm's A-Brewin'...

Ouch.
Have you ever just had one of those days where nothing seems to go right? It's as if the very first thing you do in the morning just sets the standard for the rest of the day, like a domino effect. So far, I'm having one of those days, unfortunately.

Last night, I was up pretty late studying (my first exam is tomorrow...AHH!), so when my alarm went off at 7 am this morning, I did what most people who don't need to be at work until noon would do - I hit snooze. Little did I know I really turned my alarm off. The next thing I know I wake up, and it's 11:38. Shit.

I threw my clothes on, knocked over my earring stand on my way out of my room (and believe me, that's a lot worse than it sounds. I have a lot of earrings.), skipped breakfast, skipped putting contacts in, skipped makeup, and ran out the door. Needless to say, I was not in that state of mind, nor did I have the time to check the weather before I ran in a panic out the door.

I knew I'd be fine, it only takes me ten minutes to walk to work, and I had gotten out the door by around 11:42. But I just never like feeling rushed, and I like to get there early so I can sit down, have a drink, and collect myself before being thrown onto the floor. So, unfortunately, after having to skip breakfast, I didn't have the time to get anything to eat/drink at work once I got there either.

I have also come to find that I work much better with a couple shots of espresso in me. I just feel much more alert and chipper, which are both things that you need to be where I work. Unfortunately, again, because I didn't have the time to get a drink before I started, I was neither of those things. I was making pretty stupid mistakes for the first hour or so, and I felt bad because I felt like I was annoying my co-workers, which was probably just in my head, but I don't like being the source of frustration or burden in any case. Once I had my break, I was feeling much better (I was able to get some food and some coffee, so all looked much more positive after that). The store wasn't too busy, so I was actually sent home early, which is really a blessing since I didn't get up early like I wanted to to fit in some study time before work. At least I was given about an hour or extra time.

As I left the store, feeling a little useless since I'd only been in for a few hours (but who was I to complain?), the sky absolutely just opened up. It was thundering like crazy - at one point it was so loud and aggressive, a little part of me was actually a little paranoid that that would be the day I'd finally be struck by lightening (one of my greatest childhood fears).

There I was - no makeup, glasses, hair thrown up, walking home in the pouring rain. Attractive. And when I say pouring, I mean I was swimming home. I looked in the mirror when I got home and it looked like I had decided to take a dip in a pool with my clothes on. And, just to top it all off, as soon as I get to my house, the rain subsides. It's like mother nature just gave my a big middle finger.

I say all of this with a sense of humor - it wasn't all that bad after all. I wasn't late for work, I got to leave early, and it gave me an excuse to talk to you fine people. I guess I just needed to vent a bit. Oh well. When things like this happen, you just need to laugh it off, and realize that life goes on. So that is exactly what I will do.

Off to hit the books...




Photo: Nate Kay - photographyblogger.net

No comments:

Post a Comment