Tuesday 3 July 2012

Proud to be Canadian, Proud to be Me, and Proud to be Working!

Happy Tuesday everyone! My apologies for being away for the past week, I've had some course work to catch up on, and this weekend was petty busy too, as I'm sure it was for most of you as well.

This weekend was GREAT, I'm happy to say. Here's a summary:

- Friday: Went to see Seth MacFarlane's new movie Ted. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. If you are even the slightest bit of a fan of Family Guy/American Dad/The Cleveland Show, it is definitely a must see.

- Saturday: Went shopping with the parents for a gift for a wedding I'm going to later this month, and a dress for it as well. I haven't gotten a new item of clothing - let alone a new dress - in a while, so it was a really nice treat to be able to do that. That night, my boyfriend came over, and all of us, along with my brother, watched The Fellowship of the Ring (LOTR) with the insane, movie theatre quality speakers that are in our living room. Needless to say, it was pretty epic.

- Sunday: My boyfriend and I went to the Pride Parade downtown! I had never been before, and it was honestly one of the greatest experiences I've had. There was so much love and unconditional acceptance filling the air, it was impossible not to smile and be happy to be a part of everything. It was so beautiful to see so many people marching; people from all different cultures, religions, and political views who had come together to celebrate who they are, and to support others, regardless of their age, sex, race, creed, or (of course) sexual orientation. I wish every one of you could experience what I experienced on Sunday at least once. It's moments like these that remind us that no matter who may discourage us or give us grief, there are still millions of people out there who will love and accept you for who you are.

Sunday was also, of course, Canada Day! It was an added bonus to be able to celebrate Pride on Canada's birthday. I feel so lucky to be able to live in such a wonderful country, and I can honestly say, I don't think I could be happier living anywhere else. I am truly proud to be a Canadian.

So, as the weekend came to a close, I was getting ready for another landmark - my first day of work! That's right. Yesterday, I began my new routine. I'm already loving the people I work with, and I already feel at home there. There was a lot of information thrown my way, and there was a lot to take in, but I expected as much, and I think I did pretty well considering it was my first day. I'm really looking forward to seeing how things will go from here.

I'd like to mention one more thing before I wrap things up. For those of you who don't know, I have two older brothers: one who lives with me at my parents' place who is a biologist, and one lives in a different city a few hours away. The one who lives out of town is a very talented cook - he has had a passion for cooking since I can remember, and as singing is my calling, the culinary arts is his. Since finishing his degree, he's been working in a successful Italian restaurant as a cook. What I wanted to mention, is that as of today, he has been promoted to sous chef of the restaurant. I just feel so proud of what he has accomplished. He's worked really hard and gone through a lot to be where he is now, and I wanted to recognize this amazing accomplishment by sharing it with all of you fine folks. Congratulations, David!!!

Now that I have shamelessly bragged about my family, I think I'll take this moment to finish things up. I hope all of you had a wonderful weekend with friends and family, celebrating Canada, Pride, Spain winning the Euro Cup (if you've been following it), and just enjoying life.

Remember: there's no one in the world like you, and you're the best thing you've got. Be proud to be who you are, no matter what others may think, know that you are loved, and live your life for you.






Photo: vikkicansickle.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment